Media content on WordPress blog pages improves the perception of information, gives content value, and keeps visitors on the site. Guides, tutorials, or instructions will be better perceived if you dilute the dry text with a video.
In one of the previous articles, we discussed how to add a video to a WordPress site. Now let’s get acquainted with plugins that expand the possibilities of inserting videos. Consider their advantages and disadvantages.
- 1 WordPress Video Plugins
Why use video plugins?
Adding media content just got easier with the new Gutenberg editor. A couple of clicks and the video is already displayed on the site.
However, plugins can add value to your videos by enhancing them in a variety of ways. For example, they can:
- style video display without knowledge of CSS;
- allow the user to download;
- add subtitles;
- save the location of the video by remembering the playback position;
- enable analytics.
In short, the WordPress video plugin will provide additional features that are not available in regular video embedding tools.
WordPress Video Plugins
Each of the extensions discussed below has its own characteristics. Choose the one that fits all the requirements.
Simplicity is good. The tool works with YouTube, Vimeo, iFrame, and more in a lightbox. This means that the video will be displayed in a pop-up window.
Works on the basis of shortcodes that can be inserted into a page or post.
[video_lightbox_vimeo5 video_id="13562192" width="640" height="480" anchor="click here to open vimeo video"] [video_lightbox_youtube video_id="G7z74BvLWUg" width="640" height="480" anchor="click here to open YouTube video"]
You will only need to replace the parameter value video_id.
- enable prettyPhoto;
- custom animation speeds (normal, fast, slow);
- automatic slide shows;
- opacity adjustment;
- heading indicators;
- change of size;
- displaying the description of the pop-up window;
- disable suggested videos at the end of YouTube clips.
This is another free solution for conveniently embedding videos from popular services.
To embed, open the classic editor (Gutenberg is not supported), click the Add Media button, select Embed Video from URL.
After specifying the title of the video, the URL link, the address of the thumbnail to be displayed, a shortcode will be added to the post.
- adaptive video, which will automatically resize relative to the screen;
- sending statistics to Google Analytics;
- pop-up video gallery;
- the ability to add subtitles and tracks with subtitles;
- video download button.
If you are looking for a convenient solution for showing videos, then this is a great option.
After installation and activation, you can go to the options menu and adjust some settings.
You need to check the “Enable jQuery” option so that the plugin can use the jQuery library.
The plugin uses shortcodes.
- video playback using HTML5;
- automatic indentation for browsers that do not support HTML5;
- responsive videos;
- video preloading;
- adding custom css.
A modern YouTube plugin compatible with Gutenberg. Inserting rollers provides the functions:
- complies with GDPR;
- inserting a YouTube gallery;
- continuous playback in the gallery;
- playlist embedding support;
- YouTube migration support.
Another free plugin for embedding FLV or MP4 videos in WordPress posts or pages.
Has several great features, including:
- remembers the viewing position;
- repetition of the video;
- full-screen player
- support for video ads;
- support for MP4, WebM, and OGV, HLS, MPEG DASH, and RTMP;
- button to download the video;
- auto buffering;
- popup box.
- Like other plugins, it uses shortcodes.
Another noteworthy WP tool for displaying media on the site.
Some of the main features:
- fast and lightweight HTML5 player;
- out-stream advertising blocks;
- 33+ custom HTML5 skins;
- adaptive size;
- Amazon CDN support;
- detailed analytics;
- video preview.
Although WordPress makes it easy to add videos with regular engine tools. But the use of plugins will expand these functions and allow:
- customize controls;
- use additional display options;
- display additional options for visitors;
- flexibly adjust the video display;
- provide detailed analytics;
- resume browsing with the position saved.